Tampa Immigration Attorney
Maney Gordon En Español Thai
Tampa Immigration Lawyer About Us Staff Law Blog Mission Statement Employment Office Locations Contact Us
Online Consultation Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer? Employee Immigration View our Other Site
Immigration & Nationality Law
Additional Types of Visas
B-2 Visitor For Pleasure
E-1 Treaty Trader
E-2 Treaty Investor
F-1 Student Visa
H-1B Specialty Occupation
K-1 Fiancée Visa
H-2 Temporary Worker
J-1 Exchange Visitor
L-1 Intra-Company Transferee
P-1 Performing Artists & Athletes
R-1 Religious Workers
Other Non-Immigrant Visas
Watch our informative videos

Follow Us On

Florida Immigration

J-1 Exchange Visitor


The J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa allows persons to enter the United States and participate in an approved exchange program. These programs can include the following types of exchange activities:


Professors and Research Scholars

Short Term Scholars



Foreign Medical Graduates

International and Governmental Visitors


Camp Counselors\Au Pair


Processing Time

J-1 Visa applications are decided by the consular officers abroad in less than thirty days.


J-1 Visa duration varies with the specific program and can range from six months to seven years.

Permission to work in the U.S.

Depending upon the type of program, some exchange visitors are allowed to work in the U.S. in furtherance of their program. All J-2, dependent spouses, are permitted to apply for work authorization, providing it is not utilized to support the J-1 visitor.


Approved Program

The J-1 applicant must be coming to the U.S in order to participate in a program whose sponsor has been approved by the U.S. Information Agency.

Program Qualifications

The J-1 Visa applicant must demonstrate that he/she is qualified to participate in the specific J-1 program. Each qualified program maintains separate criteria for qualification.

Nonimmigrant Intent

Each J-1 applicant must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he or she intends to return to the country of residence upon conclusion of the authorization J-1 visitor stay.



  • Must be participating in a structured training program
  • The stay is limited to 18 months
  • The exchange visitor must not be recruited to fill a position resulting in displacement od a full- time or part-time U.S. employee
  • Employment is limited to on-the-job training rather than gainful employment
  • The sponsor must disclose fees and costa, estimated living expenses, and a summary of training objectives

College Students

  • The J-1 student must be engaged in fulltime course of study
  • The J-1student must demonstrate adequate financial resources to conduct and participate in the educational program

Professors and Research Scholar

  • Must be in a temporary appointment
  • Must work only at the authorization institution(s)

Short-Term Scholar

  • Stay is limited to six months with no extensions

Medical Graduates

  • School should be accredited by the Secretary of Education
  • Physician is a graduate of an accredited medical school and the sponsoring medical school assumes responsibility for the medical training
  • Physician makes a commitment to return to his country of residence for a period of two years immediately following the conclusion of the specific medical skills in that country
  • The physician's home country certifies that there ia a need for the specific medical skills in hat country
  • The stay in limited to a maximum period of 7 years


  • Applicants must be qualified to teach primary or secondary school in their home country
  • Applicants must possess at least three years of experience
  • Applicants must have good moral character
  • Applicants must be coming to teach full-time
  • The stay is limited to the length of the program, not exceeding three years

Secondary School Students

  • Students must be coming to participate in a full course of study
  • The study period must be at least one, but no more than two academic semesters
  • Employment is not permitted other than occasional babysitting or yard work

Au Pairs

  • The applicants must be between the ages of eighteen and twenty-six years old
  • The applicants must be from a country that maintains current diplomatic relations with the U.S.
  • The applicants must be a high school graduate
  • The applicants must be proficient in English
  • The applicant can provide no more than forty-five hours of child care per week, or ten hours of child care in any given day
  • The stay is limited to one year
  • The applicant is required to enroll in a secondary school for at least six semester hours
Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. - Tampa Immigration Lawyer
Located at 101 East Kennedy Boulevard, Suite 1700 Tampa, FL 33602. View Map
Phone: (800) 708-4399 | Local Phone: (813) 221-1366.