Services Also Available in Spanish, Portuguese & Thai
R-1 Religious Workers

R-1 Religious Workers Visa

R-1 Immigration Visa Explained

The R-1 visa allows aliens in certain religious occupations to enter the United States temporarily to perform the duties of a religious worker with a bona fide non-profit religious organization. The alien may work in a professional capacity, in a specific religious occupation, or in a religious vocation provided that the alien was a member of the particular religious denomination for the two years preceding the application for an R-1 visa.


The R visa holder is permitted to work in the United States in a religious occupation for a temporary period.

The R visa is granted initially for a period of three years. Upon expiration of the initial visa, an extension can be obtained for another two years for a total not to exceed five years.

The R-1 visa holder can earn any amount of money as a salary without limitations imposed by labor conditions applications.

Spouses of R-1 visa holders and children under 21 years of age may be entitled to remain in the United States for the duration of the R-1 visa holder's authorized stay. They are issued R-2 visas.

Change of Employers
R-1 visa holders may change employers without leaving the United States provided the new position qualifies the alien for R-1 status and a new nonfrivolous petition is filed.

Unless the R-1 visa holder has the visa stamped in their passport, they may not leave and reenter the United States without first obtaining the visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy abroad.


Professional Capacity
Occupations for which a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent is required.

Religious Occupation
An activity pertaining to a religious function such as:

  • Liturgical worker
  • Religious instructor
  • Religious counselor
  • Cantor
  • Catechist
  • Worker in a religious hospital
  • Missionary
  • Religious translator
  • Religious broadcaster

Religious Vocation
A calling to religious life evidenced by a committed practice in the denomination, such as taking vows, including:

  • Priests
  • Nuns
  • Monks
  • Ministers


Dependents Cannot Work
Accompanying spouses and children of R-1 visa holders are not permitted to work while in the U.S. on R-2 status.

If you have questions about R-1 visas for religious workers, our immigration attorneys at Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A.​ are prepared to help. Contact us today at (800) 708-4399 for a personalized consultation!

Real Stories from Real Immigrants

Let Us Help You Tell Your Immigrant Story
  • “I had the chance to visit Maney Gordon Immigration office on Hoover Boulevard and met Attorney Ana (The Boss) and then the amazing Chelsea Nowel who showed a well understanding to my Asylum case. You ...”

    - Ammar Z.
  • “I had Rick for my attorney and he was amazing! He helped me get more then I expected when the woman lied about the accident. If you need an attorney for a car accident, I’d definitely recommend him! ...”

    - Pammie W.
  • “On top of dotting the I's and crossing the T's, Mr. Davis is simply a great person; very open and trustworthy.”

    - Tammy P.
  • “Hire him for all your immigration needs, he and his team are excellent and well known in the legal community.”

    - Susanna K.
  • “We were absolutely daunted by the process but Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. and their wonderful staff took the trepidation and hassle out of the process completely.”

    - Sue S.

Why Choose Maney | Gordon | Zeller?

  • We Have Nine Offices Across the U.S. Dedicated to Your American Dream
  • We Are Licensed to Practice Law at the United States Supreme Court Level
  • We Are Licensed to Practice Law in Sixteen States & Four Countries
  • We Have Board-Certified* Immigration Specialists on Our Legal Team
  • We Have Served Hopeful Immigrants for Over 40 Consecutive Years
  • We Are Nationwide Authorities on the Law & Politics of Immigration
Contact Our Firm Today We've Helped Thousands of Individuals Just Like You

Our immigration lawyers are dedicated to excellence and are committed to going above and beyond for our clients to obtain the outcome that they deserve. Whether you are an employer or an individual, you will receive the legal assistance that you need in your pursuit of legal immigration into the U.S.