Tampa Immigration Attorney
Maney Gordon En Español Thai
Tampa Immigration Lawyer About Us Staff Law Blog Mission Statement Employment Office Locations Contact Us
Online Consultation Why Hire an Immigration Lawyer? Employee Immigration View our Other Site
Immigration & Nationality Law
Additional Types of Visas
B-2 Visitor For Pleasure
E-1 Treaty Trader
E-2 Treaty Investor
F-1 Student Visa
H-1B Specialty Occupation
K-1 Fiancée Visa
H-2 Temporary Worker
J-1 Exchange Visitor
L-1 Intra-Company Transferee
P-1 Performing Artists & Athletes
R-1 Religious Workers
Other Non-Immigrant Visas
Watch our informative videos

Follow Us On

Florida Immigration

R-1 Religious Workers

R-1 Immigration Visa Explained

The R-1 visa allows aliens in certain religious occupations to enter the United States temporarily to perform the duties of a religious worker with a bona fide non-profit religious organization. The alien may work in a professional capacity, in a specific religious occupation, or in a religious vocation provided the alien was a member of the particular religious denomination for the two years preceding the application for an R-1 visa.


The R visa holder is permitted to work in the United States in a religious occupation for a temporary period.

The R visa is granted initially for a period of three years. Upon expiration of the initial visa, an extension can be obtained for another two years for a total not to exceed five years.

The R-1 visa holder can earn any amount of money as a salary without limitations imposed by labor conditions applications.

Spouses of R-1 visa holders and children under twenty-one years of age may be entitled to remain in the United States for the duration of the R-1 visa holder's authorized stay. They are issued R-2 visas.

Change of Employers
R-1 visa holders may change employers without leaving the United States provided the new position qualifies the alien for R-1 status and a new nonfrivolous petition is filed.

Unless the R-1 visa holder has de visa stamped in their passport, they may not leave and reenter the United States without first obtaining the visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy abroad.


Professional Capacity
Occupations for which a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent is required.

Religious Occupation
An activity pertaining to a religious function such as:

  • Liturgical worker
  • Religious instructor
  • Religious counselor
  • Cantor
  • Catechist
  • Worker in religious hospital
  • Missionary
  • Religious translator
  • Religious broadcaster

Religious Vocation
A calling to religious life evidenced by a committed practice in the denomination, such as taking vows, including:

  • Priests
  • Nuns
  • Monks
  • Ministers


Dependents Cannot Work
Accompanying spouses and children of R-1 visa holders are not permitted to work while in the U.S. on R-2 status.

If you have questions about R-1 visas for religious workers, our immigration attorneys at Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A.​ are prepared to help. Contact us today for a personalized consultation!

Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. - Tampa Immigration Lawyer
Located at 101 East Kennedy Boulevard, Suite 1700 Tampa, FL 33602. View Map
Phone: (800) 708-4399 | Local Phone: (813) 221-1366.