Skip to Content
Services Also Available in Spanish, Portuguese & Thai

What Documents Do I Need For a Marriage Green Card?

couple researching online laptop

There are many ways to gain U.S. citizenship, and one of the most popular is through marriage. In fact, of the estimated one million foreign nationals who gain U.S. citizenship each year, 25% of those are through marriage.

In order to apply for a marriage-based green card, one spouse must be a U.S. citizen or green card holder. For those couples who are in this situation, congratulations on your marriage! If you and your spouse are planning to live together or work in the U.S., the next big step is applying for a marriage green card.

Our Tampa immigration attorneys are here to guide you through this process with ease. Here is what you need to move forward with your marriage green card application:

Establishing the Marriage Relationship (Form I-130)

Also known as a “Petition for Alien Relative,” the purpose of this form is submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in order to establish a valid marriage exists between you and your spouse. You will need to submit supporting documents with this form, including the following (if applicable):

  • Birth certificates

  • Marriage certificate

  • Financial documents

  • Evidence showing the name change

  • Proof of the spouse’s (sponsor’s) U.S. citizenship or permanent residence

  • Proof of lawful U.S. entry and status

  • Police clearance certificate

  • Passport photos

  • Prior-marriage termination papers

  • Court, police, and prison records

  • Military records

  • Immigration violation records

  • Current/expired U.S. visa(s)

  • Medical examination document

After you establish the marriage, the next steps are to file for a green card, attend the green card interview, and await approval! Once approved, green card holders will have a “permanent resident” status for three years. At that point, they can choose to apply for U.S. citizenship.

Helping You Navigate the Immigration Process

If you and your spouse need assistance applying for a marriage green card, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our legal team at your earliest convenience. Our nationwide, full-service immigration firm has nearly a century of experience advocating on behalf of immigrants and their families. We will guide you through the process seamlessly in pursuit of your American Dream.

Contact Maney Gordon Zeller at (800) 708-4399 to get started with a free consultation.


Our Locations