A record number of 290,000 employment-based immigrant visas (green cards) will be available in Fiscal Year 2022 for those seeking employment in the United States, a nearly 11% increase from last year.
Record Number of Green Cards Available
Only 140,000 employment-based green cards are available during a standard year; however, if there is an unused number of family-based immigrant visas in the year prior, this can carry over into the following year. FY 2021 saw an overflow of 150,000 green cards (the most on record), allowing for a significant uptick in the number available in 2022. That being said, each individual country is only permitted to use 7% of this total.
Eligibility for an Employment-Based Green Card
If looking to apply for an employment-based immigrant visa during FY 2022, it's important first to understand whether you meet the eligibility requirements. Anyone who is currently in the United States must meet these requirements:
- File a Form I-485;
- You are in the United States after being inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled;
- Physically present in the U.S. at the time of filing the Form I-485;
- The job offered to you under Form I-140 still exists with that employer, and you plan to accept upon Form I-485 approval;
- If self-petitioning, you must be in the same or similar field of work as specified in Form I-140.
- No bars to adjustment of status apply to you;
- The U.S. deems you admissible for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility; AND
- Merit favorable exercise of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services discretion.
When to Apply
The U.S. Department of State releases a monthly bulletin detailing when to file your employment-based visa application. Note that this may vary based on country of origin and other factors and is subject to change. You can find a database of these bulletins here.
Need Help Applying for a Visa? Call (800) 708-4399
Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. has been helping people from around the world achieve their American dream since 1976. Our team of over 80 employees in nearly a dozen offices nationwide is here to provide assistance for your employment-based visa application or any other immigration services you may need.
Schedule a consultation with a member of our team or by filling out this short form. Consultations are available in German, Russian, Spanish, Urdu, Korean, Dutch, Pashto, Hindi, Amharic, Harari, Somali, and Thai.