Skip to Content
Services Also Available in Spanish, Portuguese & Thai

How Long Can You Stay in the U.S. on a Work Visa?

person in a warehouse holding a carboard box and wearing a hard hat

Work Visa Types and Length of Stay

Obtaining a work visa is a significant accomplishment that can take an extended time to approve, depending on extenuating circumstances. Because of this, it’s important for these visa holders to understand the length of stay and what factors may contribute to it.

There are different types of work visas, each with its own conditions and requirements that may change the maximum length of stay. Here are the three main categories and what you should know:


The most common type of work visa is the H-Visa, which permits immigrants to be in the United States for approximately six years to perform a certain job. If the holder of this visa leaves their position, they have 60 days to find a new job and apply for a change of status.


The L-Visa allows for a maximum stay of seven years in the United States. This visa is typically granted to executives and managers who are being transferred to a US affiliate company or to individuals with “extraordinary ability” in their field.


The O-visa is reserved for immigrants with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who have a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and are coming to the United States to continue work in their field. The initial period of stay for an O-visa holder generally is three years.

Other Factors That Can Contribute to Length of Stay

In addition to the type of visa, there are other factors that can contribute to the length of stay in the United States. For example, if an immigrant applies for a green card, they may be able to extend their stay indefinitely. If you’re a current work visa holder and want to extend your stay, a good first step would be to contact an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. Can Help

Our immigration firm prides itself on ‘Bringing the Best to America’ and aims to help those who wish to work and live in the United States. If you’re looking to obtain a work visa or are considering extending your stay, we can help. Schedule a consultation with our team today by calling (800) 708-4399 or filling out this short form.


Our Locations