Skip to Content
Services Also Available in Spanish, Portuguese & Thai

Can I Get My Parents a Visa?

an Asian family sitting ona white couch, there are two young adults and two elderly adults smiling

Citizens of the United States who have foreign-born parents may wish to help them pursue a visa or naturalization. Fortunately, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) allows for those who are citizens to bring their immigrant parents to live in the country permanently. One of the most common manners of doing this is through the IR-5 Parent Visa.

What is the IR-5 Parent Visa?

The IR-5 is a visa that allows foreign-born parents of U.S. citizens to come live in the United States permanently. In order to qualify, the applicant must be the biological or adoptive parent of a child who is a U.S. citizen and over the age of 21. Additionally, the applicant must prove that they are capable of supporting themselves and their dependents financially.

How to Apply for an IR-5 Parent Visa

To apply for an IR-5 parent visa, the first step is to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This form must be filed by the U.S. citizen child on behalf of their parent. Once USCIS approves Form I-130, the next step is for the parent to complete Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa Application. After the form is completed, the parent will need to schedule an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

At the interview, a consular officer will determine if the parent is eligible for an IR-5 visa. If so, they will issue the visa and the parent can then travel to the United States. Once in the country, the parent can apply for a green card by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

It’s important to note that there are limits on the number of IR-5 visas that are issued each year. As such, it’s important to file Form I-130 and Form DS-260 as soon as possible to increase the chances of being approved for a visa.

Need Application Assistance? Contact Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A.

At Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A., we believe in helping bring the best to America, and our team is eager to help your family through the immigration process. Call (800) 708-4399 to get in touch with our firm today and schedule a free case review.


Our Locations