The Basics of Naturalization
The naturalization process allows foreign nationals and citizens to become U.S. citizens. To do so, applicants must first meet certain criteria before beginning the process. Additionally, applicants must also pass a civics and English class, attend an interview, and take an oath of allegiance to complete the process. Continue reading to learn more about the requirements.
Determining Eligibility for Naturalization
There are certain eligibility requirements you must meet before applying for naturalization in the United States.
According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Of good moral character
- A permanent and lawful resident of the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to applying
- Understand and speak English
- Be physically present in the U.S. for at least 5 years
In some cases, there may be exceptions to the residency requirements, which an experienced immigration can assist you with. If you meet the requirements for eligibility, you can apply for naturalization.
Below are some items you must accurately complete:
- Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Obtain two photos of yourself that meet immigration service requirements
- Gather all required documents
- Send out your application along with the documents and filing fee to the appropriate service center
After filing your application, you must still continuously live in the United States.
When you reach the last step and take the oath of allegiance, you must:
- Have a ceremony date scheduled
- Check-in at your ceremony
- Give back your Permanent Resident Card
- Answer questions regarding what you have done since your interview
- Take your oath of allegiance
To complete the naturalization process successfully, you will need to fully understand every step and prepare extensively for it. An immigration attorney can help you navigate each stage and assist you in filing all the pertinent paperwork, so you can become naturalized.
Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney to Get Started on the Naturalization Process!
If you would like to begin the naturalization process, the experienced immigration team at Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. can provide the guidance you need to navigate it. We understand how important the success of your application is for you and will help you every step of the way.
Reach out to our law office today at (800) 708-4399 to request a consultation with a member of our team to begin the naturalization process.