Skip to Content
Services Also Available in Spanish, Portuguese & Thai
Fiancé(e) Visas

Philadelphia Fiance Visa Attorney

Let Us Help You & Your Future Spouse Have a Happily Ever After

An engagement is a momentous occasion in the lives of any couple. When that momentous occasion takes place in a different country, it can cause a number of complications that can be difficult to navigate. One of these complications is the fiancé(e) visa. This visa allows a foreign fiancé(e) to travel to the United States to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé(e). Once in the United States, the fiancé(e) will be able to adjust their status to that of a lawful permanent resident.

If you are a U.S. citizen with a fiancé(e) abroad, you will need to petition for a fiancé(e) visa. If you do not follow the process properly, your fiancé(e) may be denied entry into the country. Our Philadelphia fiancé(e) visa attorney at Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. can help you navigate this process and ensure your fiancé(e) is granted entry into the United States.

Give us a call at (215) 922-5354 or contact us online to learn how our Philadelphia fiancé(e) visa attorneys can help you achieve your immigration goals.

How to Obtain a Fiancé(e) Visa

A fiancé(e) visa in the United States is officially known as the K-1 visa. It is designed for foreign nationals who are engaged to U.S. citizens and wish to enter the U.S. for the purpose of getting married. The K-1 visa allows the foreign fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. for a period of 90 days, during which time they must marry their U.S. citizen petitioner. After marriage, the foreign spouse can then apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) in the U.S.

Here are the general steps to obtain a K-1 visa in the United States:

  1. Eligibility: To be eligible for a K-1 visa, the following criteria must be met:
    • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, not a permanent resident.
    • Both the U.S. citizen petitioner and the foreign fiancé(e) must be legally free to marry.
    • Both parties must have met in person at least once within the two years immediately preceding the filing of the petition. There are limited exceptions to this requirement for extreme hardship or cultural reasons.
  2. File a Petition: The first step is for the U.S. citizen petitioner to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Along with this form, you must provide evidence of your relationship, proof of meeting in person, and supporting documents.
  3. USCIS Processing: USCIS will review the petition and, if approved, forward it to the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign fiancé(e)'s home country. USCIS may request additional documentation or information during this process.
  4. National Visa Center (NVC) Processing: Once the petition is approved by USCIS, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will assign a case number and forward the petition to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign fiancé(e)'s home country.
  5. Embassy/Consulate Interview: The foreign fiancé(e) will be required to attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. During the interview, they will need to provide additional documentation, undergo a medical examination, and answer questions about their relationship and plans.
  6. Visa Issuance: If the visa is approved, it will be issued to the foreign fiancé(e). They will receive instructions on how to enter the U.S.
  7. Entry into the U.S.: Once the foreign fiancé(e) enters the U.S. on the K-1 visa, they have 90 days to marry their U.S. citizen petitioner.
  8. Marriage: The couple must get married within the 90-day period, as failure to do so could lead to deportation.
  9. Adjustment of Status: After marriage, the foreign spouse can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) in the U.S. This involves filing Form I-485 and attending an interview with USCIS.

The K-1 visa process can be complex and time-consuming, involving a considerable amount of paperwork and documentation. It's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney or seek guidance from USCIS and the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign fiancé(e)'s home country to navigate the process successfully.

Why Choose Our Firm?

Are you looking to bring your fiancé(e) to the United States to get married and start your life together? Navigating the complex and ever-changing immigration laws can be a daunting task. That's where Maney | Gordon | Zeller, P.A. comes in. We are your trusted Philadelphia fiancé(e) visa lawyers in Pennsylvania, dedicated to helping you and your loved one reunite in the land of opportunity.

Don't let legal obstacles stand in the way of your love story. Contact us at (215) 922-5354 today to schedule a consultation.

Why Choose Maney | Gordon | Zeller?

  • We Have Nine Offices Across the U.S. Dedicated to Your American Dream
  • We Are Licensed to Practice Law at the United States Supreme Court Level
  • We Are Licensed to Practice Law in Sixteen States & Four Countries
  • We Have Board-Certified* Immigration Specialists on Our Legal Team
  • We Have Served Hopeful Immigrants for Over 40 Consecutive Years
  • We Are Nationwide Authorities on the Law & Politics of Immigration
Contact Our Firm Today We've Helped Thousands of Individuals Just Like You

A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.